Office 365 - Shared Inbox
Shared inboxes in Office 365 makes it easy for a group of people to monitor and send email from a common email addresses, like firstname.lastname@example.org. When a person in the group replies to a message sent to the shared inbox, the email appears to be from the shared inbox, not from the individual user. A shared inbox doesn’t have its own user name and password. You can’t log into a shared inbox directly using Outlook or OWA. You must first be granted permissions to the shared inbox, using ITS Help Desk and then you access it using Outlook Desktop App (recommended method) or Outlook on the Web.
It is important to note that items sent are stored in the Sent Items folder of the sender's personal account as opposed to the shared inbox account. Messages replied to in the shared inbox will show indication that replies have been sent, but the reply itself will not be viewable within the shared inbox by default.
- Note: If you receive the following error...
- You must first be granted permissions to the shared inbox, using ITS Help Desk. It may take a short time before the shared inbox will automatically appear in your Outlook profile. If the shared inbox does not automatically display in Outlook, you may need to restart Outlook to see the shared inbox.
Outlook Desktop App
- Launch the Outlook Desktop App.
If you have permissions to a shared inbox, the shared inbox will automatically display in your Folder pane in Outlook.
Send New email from the shared inbox:
The first time you send a new email message from the shared inbox you must change the "From" field of a message to the shared inbox email address. This is a manual process, and this becomes a simple drop-down option for future use.
- Create New Mail or Reply while viewing a received message.
- Click From in the "Show Fields" group and from the drop-down menu in the message and select Other E-mail Address...
- In the dialog box, type the display name or shared email address of the shared account and click OK .
- Display Name is: your 5 letter school code General Delivery
- email address is: your 5 letter school email@example.com
- Complete your message and press Send.
- If the initial message sent successfully, you will have the "From" drop-down menu available when composing future messages, and you will be able to click to select the shared inbox name as the message source.
Outlook on the Web
- Sign into Outlook on the Web and navigate to Outlook (mail).
- Click "More", to view your primary inbox.
- Right-click your primary inbox in the left navigation pane, and then choose add shared folder.
- In the add shared folder dialog box, type your shared inbox email address, and then click enter.
The shared inbox displays in your Folder list in Outlook Web App. You can expand or collapse the shared inbox folders as you can with your primary inbox. You also can remove the shared inbox from your Folder list. To remove it, right-click the shared inbox, and then click delete.
To send email from the shared inbox using OWA:
- Click above the folder list. A new message form opens in the reading pane.
- Click More , and then select Show from. This option shows you that the people who receive the email message will see that it comes from the shared inbox and not from your own email account.
- To add recipients, type the name of anyone who is in your contacts folder or organization’s address list, or type the email address in the To or cc box. The first time you enter a person’s name, Outlook Web App searches for that person’s address. In the future, the name is cached so it resolves quickly.
- When your message is ready to go, click send .