Transferring FirstClass Contacts to Office 365 Outlook People
Step 1: Exporting from FirstClass
- From within FirstClass, open your Contacts.
- Choose File > Export.
- Click on Selected contacts or All contacts for export, whichever is appropriate.
- Choose For use with Outlook (.csv) as the export format.
- Select the location (your Desktop) where you want the file to be saved and click Save
- The transfer window will appear. If you have mail lists with multiple individuals, you will receive the following warning message indicating these items were skipped during the export.
- Click close and your contacts are now exported.
Step 2: Review the .CSV spreadsheet in Excel before importing contacts into Office 365
- Make sure that all of the values for “email address” contain only the email address and not the first and last name of the person as well).
- Delete the row of any email address that has ,Internet
- Make sure that the names of your contacts are placed in the correct columns for First Name and Last Name.
Sample Excel .csv export file
- Save the spreadsheet. Click Yes to keep the .CSV format.
Step 3: Import Contacts to Outlook
Import from Outlook Web App (OWA) via a web browser
Note: the web browser import does not give you the following choices: choose whether to replace duplicates (existing contacts), create duplicate contacts, or not import duplicates. However, it does not duplicate contacts.
- Log into myo365.limestone.on.ca
- Click the app launcher (designed to help you get to your apps from anywhere in Office 365) and choose People.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner of your browser window, choose Optiona.
- Click on "Import your contacts".
- Browse to the .csv file you want to import (created in Step 1). Click Import.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner of your browser window and choose "Import Contacts".
- Your contacts are now imported.
Import from Outlook 2013
- From within Outlook, Click File > Open & Export > Import/Export. This starts the Import and Export Wizard.
- Choose Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
- Under Select the file type to import, choose Comma Separated Values and then click Next.
- Browse to the .csv file you want to import (created in Step 1). Under Options, choose whether to replace duplicates (existing contacts), create duplicate contacts, or not import duplicates. Click Next.
- Choose the destination folder for your contacts. Contacts should be selected by default, but if it's not, scroll up or down until you find it. Click Next.
- Make sure the check box next to Import "MyContacts.csv" (assuming that's your file name) is selected. Click Finish.
Your contacts are now imported.